Schedule for Second Half of 2021
Note: While all activities are typically held at GSU-Dunwoody Campus, Bldg. NC, from 1:30 to 4:00 p.m. for all meetings and workshops unless otherwise noted, due to the coronavius and the need for social distancing, we will hold our meetings and workshops online until further notice. Our meetings are always free for first-timers who want to see if the AWC will be a good fit for them; workshops are available to members only. Join our mailing list to receive the online meeting link each month.
Because of our current online meeting status, we have to forego our pre-meeting “network and nosh” (traditionally from 12:45 to 1:30 p.m. with beverages and snacks so you’ll have time to get to know each other, find critique or accountability partners, get your questions answered about writing topics, and more). We’ll resume these as soon as we can start meeting in person again.
ALL TIMES BELOW ARE U.S. EASTERN
October 30, 2021 Fall Workshop – Click for Details
- Peter Hildick-Smith – Judging a Book by Its Title & Cover & More
November 20, 2021 Meeting – in-person at the Computer Museum of America/Roswell – Click for Details
- 1st Guest Speaker – Anjali Enjeti: Essay Writing
- 2nd Guest Speaker – Suzanne Litrel: Collaboration in Nonfiction
December 18, 2021 Meeting
- 1st Guest Speaker – Charles McNair: A Lesson in Perseverance
- 2nd Guest Speaker – Leanna Reneee Hieber: Writing Fantasy Fiction
Map and Directions – During the COVID-19 pandemic, all AWC events are online until further notice
Unless otherwise noted on the schedule above, the Atlanta Writers Club meets at Georgia State University: Perimeter College – Dunwoody Campus, 2101 Womack Rd, Dunwoody, GA 30338, Building N-C auditorium.
- From I-285 (Northern Arc):
Take Exit 30 (N. Peachtree Rd./N. Shallowford Rd./Chamblee Dunwoody Rd.) and go north on N. Peachtree Rd. Turn left on Tilly Mill Rd. and then left on Womack Rd. Turn left into campus.
- From GA-400 South:
Take Exit 6, Northridge Rd., turn right at top of ramp, and turn right on Roberts Dr. (If heading north on GA-400, take Exit 6 and go straight through the light onto Roberts Dr.). From Roberts Dr., stay on it as it turns into Chamblee Dunwoody Rd and then take a left on Womack Rd. Campus will be about two miles down, on the right.
- From Highway 9 / Roswell Rd. in Sandy Springs:
Go east on Mount Vernon Rd. Turn right on Chamblee Dunwoody Rd and left on Womack Rd. Campus will be about two miles down, on the right.
We meet in the auditorium of Building N-C, which is located near the top of the circular drive and close to a large student parking lot. You can park directly in front of Building N-C or in the nearby student lot. We will have signs posted on campus to direct you.
General Meeting Agenda
- Pre-meeting Network and Nosh (12:45-1:30). Get to know your fellow writers and their projects while enjoying snacks and beverages.
- Club Business (1:30-1:45). Announcements about upcoming events.
- Program #1 (1:45-2:45). First guest speaker presentation. Please see above for a list of planned speakers.
- Networking/Book-signing (2:45-3:00). A brief break between programs.
- Program #2 (3:00-4:00). Second guest speaker presentation. Please see above for a list of planned speakers.
- Meeting Adjourn/Book-signing.
You can see photos from each Atlanta Writers Club event–including our monthly meetings, periodic workshops, and our twice-yearly Atlanta Writers Conference–by going to https://atlantawritersclub.smugmug.com/ and opening the folders to view each event posted.
2020-2021 Past Events
January 11, 2020 – Free Talk, Open to Public in GSU-Dunwoody, Bldg. NB Cafeteria
- International bestselling author Brad Taylor discusses his writing process; proceeds from book sales to benefit Books for Heroes charitable foundation
January 18, 2020
- 1st Guest Speaker – Lynn Cullen (“Keeping Nimble While Staying True to Yourself”)
- 2nd Guest Speaker – Joshilyn Jackson (“Follow Your Heart or Follow the Market?”)
February 15, 2020
- 1st Guest Speaker – Amy Deuchler (“Get Heard: Benefits of and Strategies for Breaking into Audiobooks”)
- 2nd Guest Speaker – Trudy Nan Boyce (“Build Your Story Like a Criminal Investigator”)
March 21, 2020 (Canceled due to Coronavirus)
- 1st Guest Speaker – Valerie Fraser Luesse (“Finding Stories Everywhere–Writing for Magazines”)
- 2nd Guest Speaker – March Member Minute (12 AWC members present their books)
April 18, 2020 Online
- 1st Guest Speaker – Colleen Oakley and Ricki Cardenas (“Writing Women’s Fiction”)
- 2nd Guest Speaker – Mayra Cuevas (“Young Adult Fiction and #OwnVoices”)
April 25, 2020 Online
- AWC Members-only Workshop: Dana Wildsmith on writing poetry
May 16, 2020 Online
- 1st Guest Speaker – Rebecca Heyman (First Sentence Frenzy: An Editor Offers Critiques about Your Opening Line”)
- 2nd Guest Speaker – Adam Ragusea (“The Magic of Cross-Pollination: How News-writing Helped Me Become a Famous YouTube Cook”)
June 20, 2020 Online
- 1st Guest Speaker – Jonathan Haupt (“Importance of Writing Community & Pat Conroy Literary Center”)’
- 2nd Guest Speaker – Book Ends Book Club (“Get Inside Readers’ Minds: What They Love–and Don’t Love–about the Books They Read…and Why”)
July 18, 2020 Online
- Workshop: Margaret McMullan on memoir writing and its broader lessons for all nonfiction and fiction
August 15, 2020 Online
- 1st Guest Speaker – Travis Hunter
- 2nd Guest Speaker – Rona Simmons
September 19, 2020 Online
- 1st Guest Speaker – Chris Negron (Rejection and revision)
- 2nd Guest Speaker – Karen White (Friends with benefits – Writing in collaboration)
October 10, 2020 Online
- Workshop: Danielle Kiowski on story development for fiction and creative nonfiction
October 17, 2020 Online
- 1st Guest Speaker – Christopher Swann (The origins of a novel)
- 2nd Guest Speaker – Member Minute Talks
November 21, 2020 Online
- 1st Guest Speaker – Valerie Fraser Luesse
- 2nd Guest Speaker – Mystery Writers of America Southeast Region Panelists: “The Long and Winding Road to Published Crime Fiction“ (Maggie Toussaint, Roger Johns, Steven Cooper, Debra H. Goldstein)
December 19, 2020 Online
- 1st Guest Speaker – Jack Grossman (Writing about touchy topics & preserving history)
- 2nd Guest Speaker – Alex Larned & Chayenne Skeete (Positioning your book: fitting in and standing out in the market)
January 16, 2021 Online
- 1st Guest Speaker – Critique Group Panel (Why join them, how to start one, and what benefits you’ll find)
- 2nd Guest Speaker – Ron Rash (A good story is hard to find: Writing short stories)
February 20, 2021 Online Meeting
- 1st Guest Speaker – Namina Forna (Writing middle grade and young adult fantasy)
- 2nd Guest Speaker – Celebrating Terry Kay: A Panel Discussion with Lauretta Hannon, Rona Simmons, Philip Lee Williams, and Renea Winchester
March 20, 2021 Online Meeting
- 1st Guest Speaker – Gail Evans (Georgia Tech professor, author, and former CNN executive): Writing about women’s issues
- 2nd Guest Speaker – Bernette Sherman (multi-genre author, game creator, and nonprofit founder): Writing about family history
April 3, 2021 Online Workshop
- Bren McClain – Deepen the River: The Key to Revision
April 17, 2021 Online Meeting
- 1st Guest Speaker – Ben Coles (science fiction author and instructor): Writing sci-fi
- 2nd Guest Speaker – Rob Suggs (freelance writer, illustrator and cartoonist): Collaboration and ghosting
May 15, 2021 Online Meeting
- 1st Guest Speaker – Scott Thomas Outlar (poet, author, editor): Writing poetry
- 2nd Guest Speaker – Jorjeana Marie (script writer, actress, comedian): Script writing and dialogue
June 19, 2021 Online Meeting
- 1st Guest Speaker – Liz Atwood: Biography–The Prequel. Research and Finding Your Story
- 2nd Guest Speaker – Keisha Bush: New Twist on Classic Fiction
July 10, 2021 Online Workshop for AWC Members
- Grace Wynter: Editing
August 21, 2021 Meeting
- 1st Guest Speaker – Viana Siniscalchi: Finding the Story You’re Meant to Write
- 2nd Guest Speaker – Markus Burns: Telling All–Transparency in Memoir-Writing
September 7, 2021 Webinar for AWC Members only (open to first 25 AWC members to RSVP; email Jill Evans at Jill(at)JillEvans(dot)com)
- Ben Coles: “Crafting Your Elevator Pitch”
September 18, 2021 Meeting
- 1st Guest Speaker – Jim Hamilton: Writing a Novel from a Script and Using Work Experience as Research
- 2nd Guest Speaker – Ray Dan Parker: Speed-Dating to Get to Know Your Characters
October 16, 2021 Meeting
- 1st Guest Speaker – Justine Cowan: A Pathway to Success – Writing and Pitching Your First Book
- 2nd Guest Speaker – Authors Featured in Viral Literature: Alone Together in Georgia Anthology: Roger Johns, Judy Aust, Anna Schachner, Amy Cox, Clay Ramsey, Ginger Eager