Schedule for First Half of 2019 (held at GSU-Dunwoody Campus, Bldg. NC, for all meetings and workshops unless otherwise noted)
January 19 – Click for Details
- David Fulmer’s Fiction Workshop Part 1: 11:00 a.m.-12:30 p.m. (members only)
- 1st Guest Speaker – Soniah Kamal (How to write a retelling, continuation, inspiration of a classic)
- 2nd Guest Speaker – Sally Kilpatrick (Southern fiction: conflict for the conflict averse)
February 2 Workshop (AWC members only)
- 1:30-3:30 Kim Wright Wiley workshop: Scene Sequencing
- This workshop tackles some of the toughest issues beginning novelists face: structure, plot, and pacing. Kim has created a system where–built around eight key scenes any well-constructed book should have–a writer can develop a workable outline and whip a messy, meandering first draft into a lean, tight, coherent story. This class is equally helpful for “plotters” who seek guidance in planning their story sequence and “pansers” who have written themselves into a corner and need a way out. It’s an intense but fun workshop so come prepared to take lots of notes!
February 16 – Click for Details
- David Fulmer’s Fiction Workshop Part 2: 11:00 a.m.-12:30 p.m. (members only)
- 1st Guest Speaker – Ray Atkins (Using humor in writing)
- 2nd Guest Speaker – Liz Lazarus (Inspiration & self-publishing lessons learned)
- David Fulmer’s Fiction Workshop Part 3: 11:00 a.m.-12:30 p.m. (members only)
- 1st Guest Speaker – Julia McDermott (How to captivate your readers with a phenomenal true story)
- 2nd Guest Speaker – Michael Ludden (Know what you’re writing about)
April 6 Workshop (AWC members only)
- 1:30-4:30 Grace Wynter workshop: Your First Page
- Members will be invited to submit their first manuscript page for critique a month ahead of time. On April 6th, Grace will go over the 20-30 that exemplify her lessons about what to do–and not to do–on the first page of a fiction or nonfiction manuscript
- David Fulmer’s Fiction Workshop Part 4: 11:00 a.m.-12:30 p.m. (members only)
- 1st Guest Speaker – Steven Cooper (Strategies for writers conference participation)
- 2nd Guest Speaker – (Pending)
May 3-4 Atlanta Writers Conference, Westin Atlanta Airport Hotel (AWC Members Only; registration required) – Click for Details
- David Fulmer’s Fiction Workshop Part 5: 11:00 a.m.-12:30 p.m. (members only)
- 1st Guest Speaker – Judy Goldman (Writing tips for multiple genres)
- 2nd Guest Speaker – (Pending)
June 15 (Norcross Cultural Arts & Community Center, 10 College St NW, Norcross, GA 30071)
- Inaugural Atlanta Writers Club/Gwinnett County Book Festival
July 20 Workshop (AWC members only) – Gwinnett County Public Library, 4817 Church St NW, Lilburn, GA 30047
- Jill Anderson: Creating/improving Your Author Website
Map and Directions
Unless otherwise noted on the schedule above, the Atlanta Writers Club meets at Georgia State University: Perimeter College – Dunwoody Campus, 2101 Womack Rd, Dunwoody, GA 30338, Building N-C auditorium.
- From I-285 (Northern Arc):
Take Exit 30 (N. Peachtree Rd./N. Shallowford Rd./Chamblee Dunwoody Rd.) and go north on N. Peachtree Rd. Turn left on Tilly Mill Rd. and then left on Womack Rd. Turn left into campus.
- From GA-400 South:
Take Exit 6, Northridge Rd., turn right at top of ramp, and turn right on Roberts Dr. (If heading north on GA-400, take Exit 6 and go straight through the light onto Roberts Dr.). From Roberts Dr., stay on it as it turns into Chamblee Dunwoody Rd and then take a left on Womack Rd. Campus will be about two miles down, on the right.
- From Highway 9 / Roswell Rd. in Sandy Springs:
Go east on Mount Vernon Rd. Turn right on Chamblee Dunwoody Rd and left on Womack Rd. Campus will be about two miles down, on the right.
We meet in the auditorium of Building N-C, which is located near the top of the circular drive and close to a large student parking lot. You can park directly in front of Building N-C or in the nearby student lot. We will have signs posted on campus to direct you.
General Meeting Agenda
- Pre-meeting Network and Nosh (12:30-1:30). Get to know your fellow writers and their projects while enjoying snacks and beverages.
- Club Business (1:30-1:45). Announcements about upcoming events.
- Member Minute (1:45-2:00). Presentation by an AWC Member.
- Program #1 (2:00-2:50). First guest speaker presentation. Please see above for a list of planned speakers.
- Networking/Book-signing (2:50-3:10). A brief break between programs.
- Program #2 (3:10-4:00). Second guest speaker presentation. Please see above for a list of planned speakers.
- Meeting Adjourn/Book-signing.
Previous 2019 Events
January 12 Tamlin Hall Screenwriting Workshop – Final Segment
- For the final workshop, Tamlin Hall will analyze participants’ premises and scenes from their screenplay.