Schedule for Remainder of 2020 & Early 2021
Note: While all activities are typically held at GSU-Dunwoody Campus, Bldg. NC, from 1:30 to 4:00 p.m. for all meetings and workshops unless otherwise noted, due to the coronavius and the need for social distancing, we will hold our meetings and workshops online until further notice. Our meetings are always free for first-timers who want to see if the AWC will be a good fit for them; workshops are available to members only.
Because of our current online meeting status, we have to forego our pre-meeting “network and nosh” (traditionally from 12:45 to 1:30 p.m. with beverages and snacks so you’ll have time to get to know each other, find critique or accountability partners, get your questions answered about writing topics, and more). We’ll resume these as soon as we can start meeting in person again.
December 19, 2020 Online – Click for Details
- 1st Guest Speaker – Jack Grossman (Writing about touchy topics & preserving history)
- 2nd Guest Speaker – Alex Larned & Chayenne Skeete (Penguin Random House acquisition editors in conversation)
January 16, 2021 Online – Click for Details
- 1st Guest Speaker – Critique Group Panel (Why join them, how to start one, and what benefits you’ll find)
- 2nd Guest Speaker – Ron Rash (Writing short stories)
Map and Directions – During the COVID-19 pandemic, all AWC events are online
Unless otherwise noted on the schedule above, the Atlanta Writers Club meets at Georgia State University: Perimeter College – Dunwoody Campus, 2101 Womack Rd, Dunwoody, GA 30338, Building N-C auditorium.
- From I-285 (Northern Arc):
Take Exit 30 (N. Peachtree Rd./N. Shallowford Rd./Chamblee Dunwoody Rd.) and go north on N. Peachtree Rd. Turn left on Tilly Mill Rd. and then left on Womack Rd. Turn left into campus.
- From GA-400 South:
Take Exit 6, Northridge Rd., turn right at top of ramp, and turn right on Roberts Dr. (If heading north on GA-400, take Exit 6 and go straight through the light onto Roberts Dr.). From Roberts Dr., stay on it as it turns into Chamblee Dunwoody Rd and then take a left on Womack Rd. Campus will be about two miles down, on the right.
- From Highway 9 / Roswell Rd. in Sandy Springs:
Go east on Mount Vernon Rd. Turn right on Chamblee Dunwoody Rd and left on Womack Rd. Campus will be about two miles down, on the right.
We meet in the auditorium of Building N-C, which is located near the top of the circular drive and close to a large student parking lot. You can park directly in front of Building N-C or in the nearby student lot. We will have signs posted on campus to direct you.
General Meeting Agenda
- Pre-meeting Network and Nosh (12:45-1:30). Get to know your fellow writers and their projects while enjoying snacks and beverages.
- Club Business (1:30-1:45). Announcements about upcoming events.
- Program #1 (1:45-2:45). First guest speaker presentation. Please see above for a list of planned speakers.
- Networking/Book-signing (2:45-3:00). A brief break between programs.
- Program #2 (3:00-4:00). Second guest speaker presentation. Please see above for a list of planned speakers.
- Meeting Adjourn/Book-signing.
You can see photos from each Atlanta Writers Club event–including our monthly meetings, periodic workshops, and our twice-yearly Atlanta Writers Conference–by going to https://atlantawritersclub.smugmug.com/ and opening the folders to view each event posted.
2020 Prior Events
January 11, 2020 – Free Talk, Open to Public in GSU-Dunwoody, Bldg. NB Cafeteria
- International bestselling author Brad Taylor discusses his writing process; proceeds from book sales to benefit Books for Heroes charitable foundation
January 18, 2020
- 1st Guest Speaker – Lynn Cullen (“Keeping Nimble While Staying True to Yourself”)
- 2nd Guest Speaker – Joshilyn Jackson (“Follow Your Heart or Follow the Market?”)
February 15, 2020
- 1st Guest Speaker – Amy Deuchler (“Get Heard: Benefits of and Strategies for Breaking into Audiobooks”)
- 2nd Guest Speaker – Trudy Nan Boyce (“Build Your Story Like a Criminal Investigator”)
March 21, 2020 (Canceled due to Coronavirus)
- 1st Guest Speaker – Valerie Fraser Luesse (“Finding Stories Everywhere–Writing for Magazines”)
- 2nd Guest Speaker – March Member Minute (12 AWC members present their books)
April 18, 2020 Online
- 1st Guest Speaker – Colleen Oakley and Ricki Cardenas (“Writing Women’s Fiction”)
- 2nd Guest Speaker – Mayra Cuevas (“Young Adult Fiction and #OwnVoices”)
April 25, 2020 Online
- AWC Members-only Workshop: Dana Wildsmith on writing poetry
May 16, 2020 Online
- 1st Guest Speaker – Rebecca Heyman (First Sentence Frenzy: An Editor Offers Critiques about Your Opening Line”)
- 2nd Guest Speaker – Adam Ragusea (“The Magic of Cross-Pollination: How News-writing Helped Me Become a Famous YouTube Cook”)
June 20, 2020 Online
- 1st Guest Speaker – Jonathan Haupt (“Importance of Writing Community & Pat Conroy Literary Center”)’
- 2nd Guest Speaker – Book Ends Book Club (“Get Inside Readers’ Minds: What They Love–and Don’t Love–about the Books They Read…and Why”)
July 18, 2020 Online
- Workshop: Margaret McMullan on memoir writing and its broader lessons for all nonfiction and fiction
August 15, 2020 Online
- 1st Guest Speaker – Travis Hunter
- 2nd Guest Speaker – Rona Simmons
September 19, 2020 Online
- 1st Guest Speaker – Chris Negron (Rejection and revision)
- 2nd Guest Speaker – Karen White (Friends with benefits – Writing in collaboration)
October 10, 2020 Online
- Workshop: Danielle Kiowski on story development for fiction and creative nonfiction
October 17, 2020 Online
- 1st Guest Speaker – Christopher Swann (The origins of a novel)
- 2nd Guest Speaker – Member Minute Talks
November 21, 2020 Online
- 1st Guest Speaker – Valerie Fraser Luesse
- 2nd Guest Speaker – Mystery Writers of America Southeast Region Panelists: “The Long and Winding Road to Published Crime Fiction“ (Maggie Toussaint, Roger Johns, Steven Cooper, Debra H. Goldstein)