2020 Atlanta Writers Club Anthology Writing Contest
From: Clay Ramsey, AWC Officer Emeritus and VP of Contests, Awards & Scholarships
I am pleased to announce a special contest for Atlanta Writers Club members.
I was introduced to a delightful collection of stories in college, The Decameron of Boccaccio. It’s about 10 friends who flee Florence during the fourteenth-century plague and find refuge in a country villa. They tell each other stories in quarantine, one per person per day for ten days, for a total of 100 wonderful stories. This contest is my attempt to do something similar to encourage us during these days and remind us of them when they are over.
The top three winners of this contest will be included in an anthology of 30 remarkable writers in Georgia, both from the AWC and the wider writing community. All the stories/poems will share the theme “Alone Together in Georgia.” Beyond adhering to this theme and the page limit, you are free to write about whatever your imagination suggests.
- This contest is open to all current, paid club members. Please check your membership status before submitting your entry. (To join the AWC, please contact the Membership VP, Yvonne Green, at firstname.lastname@example.org.)
- Submissions must be original. Reprints are acceptable, as long as you hold all the rights to the work and it matches the theme and length requirements.
- Entrants may submit only one piece for consideration.
“Alone Together in Georgia”
Midnight, July 1, 2020. Submissions received after this date will not be considered.
Fiction, nonfiction, and poetry will be considered.
The top three submissions will be awarded, regardless of category. The prize will be $200 and publication in an anthology of work to be published by SFK Press on or before December 1, 2020.
10 pp. for prose, fiction or nonfiction, OR 5 pp. for poetry
MANUSCRIPT FORMAT: Failure to adhere to the following format will result in disqualification.
- DO NOT place your name anywhere on the manuscript entry
- Only Word files (.docx) will be accepted.
- Font: 12 pt, Black, Times New Roman
- Margins: 1 inch
- Line spacing: double – yes, even for poetry.
- White background (no colors, photos, graphics or images)
- Page size & layout: 8-1/2 x 11; Portrait
- First page: Title should appear in the upper left corner
PAPER ENTRIES WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED.
Failure to adhere to any of the submission guidelines will lead to disqualification.
Send ONE ENTRY and the corresponding Standard Submission Form (SSF) to email@example.com.
There is no template for the SSF; you create the document yourself (see below) and send it as a separate attachment. The entry and SSF both must be sent as attached Word documents (.docx). The SSF is used for identification purposes by Clay Ramsey only. Judges never know the identity of any author; they see only the blind entry document.
IMPORTANT: Name the document files by title, i.e. Title.docx and SSF-Title.docx
Example: if the entry title is Moon Fire, the document file should be named Moon Fire.docx (this is the document that will be sent to the judges) and the SSF should be named SSF-Moon Fire.docx (this is the document that will be seen only by Clay Ramsey).
Standard Submission Form (SSF):
The SSF must include the following information:
Title of Entry
Page Count (Line Count for poetry)
Named the document: SSF-Title.docx
Attach the entry document and your SSF document to an email addressed to Clay Ramsey at firstname.lastname@example.org. Your EMAIL MESSAGE MUST INCLUDE:
Subject Line: AWC 2020 Anthology Contest
Your name, phone number, title
I have attached [Title] and the corresponding SSF for the 2020 Anthology Contest.
Thank you,[Your name] [Your phone number]
For questions, please contact Officer Emeritus and VP of Contests, Awards, & Scholarships Clay Ramsey at email@example.com.